Independence Hall 
(The old State House)
Congress Hall, the old City Hall and Philosophical Hall make up Independence Square; the original Government center of our Founding Fathers. Independence Square is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Chestnut Street between 5th & 6th.
Construction on Independence Hall began in 1732 and was completed in 1753.  Its original purpose was the Pennsylvania State House, and soon became well known as the meeting place for the Second Continental Congress from 1775 until 1783.  Both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were drafted and signed here.



The Assembly Room; Most noted for the drafting and signing of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution

Independence Hall was also the home of the Liberty Bell, which rang for many historical occasions from its bell tower.  Today the Liberty Bell can be viewed across the street at Liberty Bell Center, with Independence Hall in the background.  
In September 1777, the British Army forced the Second Continental Congress to abandon the State House and flee to York, Pennsylvania where the Articles of Confederation were approved in November 1777.  Congress returned to Philadelphia in July, 1778 after the British occupation had ended.


Early Historical Events held at Independence Hall:
1775 to 1783
Second Continental Congress

July 14th, 1775
George Washington nominated Commander in Chief
Second Continental Army

July 26th,  1775
Ben Franklin appointed Postmaster General

July 4th, 1776
September 17th, 1787
 












Independence Hall exterior and bell tower that housed 
 
 

Congress Hall interior; the meeting place of the
Second 
Continental Congress



The Pennsylvania Supreme Court